Professional development services
- Acted as a resource person on several academic staff development programmes, including refresher courses for college teachers and workshops for school/college teachers.
- Facilitated, as an ELT Consultant, 96 workshops on different aspects of English language teaching (including English for career development, communication, and soft skills), continuing professional development, reflective practice, and classroom/action research.
- Organized seminars and workshops, including three national seminars/workshops (‘Reflective Practice in the English Classroom,’ ‘Action Research for Professional Development in ELT,’ and ‘ELT Research Methodology’) sponsored by the UGC.
- Presented plenaries and parallels and given keynote addresses on course/materials design, ELT methodology and post-colonial translation at national and international seminars/conferences. (I was one of the twelve ELT experts from different countries who were invited to present plenaries at the ‘Third International Congress on English Grammar’ (23 – 27 January 2006).
- Promoted, as an ELT consultant and the Director of the Loyola ELT Centre, the Reflective Approach (RA) as a sustainable model of continuing professional development (CPD) for teachers in general and teachers of English in particular. Conducted, in the past five years, several significant workshops on CPD at which the RA model has been vigorously promoted and teachers have been encouraged to undertake RA as part of their CPD. Besides, post-workshop mentoring services have also been offered to those teachers who have adopted one or more of the procedures suggested for their own CPD.
- Guest edited The Journal of English Language Teaching (India), published by the English Language Teachers' Association of India (ELTAI), Chennai.
- Provided guidance in curriculum development as Member, Board of Studies in English, in five autonomous colleges and a university in Andhra Pradesh.
- Served as a research examiner for English and Foreign Languages University, the University of Madras and Bharathidasan University.
- Reviewed books, organized competitions, and moderated panel discussions on literary/educational matters on occasions such as the annual Vijayawada Book Festival, the National Library Week celebrations, birth anniversaries / centenaries of writers, and visits of writers such as Mr Mark Tully and Ms Gillian Wright.
- Given a number of talks on AIR. Interviewed on television about my supplementary reading programme, Champion Reading.
- International Review Board Member of Higher Education Teaching and Learning Review, The Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, and Current Issues in Education, published from the USA.
- Advisory Board Member of Journal of Applied Social Sciences Research and Steward Social Sciences and Humanities Review, both published from the UK.